Friday 3 May 2013

Top 5 Favourite Books





Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
J.K. Rowling - 1997

I first read "The Philosopher's Stone " when I was seven and I've loved it ever since.  I can find no fault in this magnificent book, I read it every time I feel sick or upset or stressed, it's my literary comfort blanket.  This book has the perfect combination of insane fantasy and beautifully crafted realistic characters. Hopefully my kids will grow up with this book just like I did. I think it's one of the best books of all time, hopefully you do to. :)

Five Stars *****

Pride and Prejudice 
Jane Austen - 1813

My mum gave me a copy of this book for my twelfth birthday, and since then I've been a little obsessed. Of course as a twelve year I missed a lot of the finer points of the novel, but it's all become clearer as I've grown older. It's a classic love story, with brilliant characters and a captivating plot. The language is a bit tricky if you're not used to it, and there's a lot of dialogue which can be hard to follow, but offers great insight into the characters. I think this book deserves all the recognition it receives, well, it has lasted 200 whole years.

Five Stars *****


The Book Thief
Markus Zusak - 2006

My favourite book of the last few years. It's perfect for me because of it's setting in WW2 Germany and it's unusual narration by death himself. This is a fantastically touching and inspirational novel that I couldn't put down once I started. Believe it or not, I've only read this once , but it remains one of my favourite books. I'm not really one for preachy books, but I think this sends a really powerful message about perseverance and strength in the bleakest of times.

Five Stars *****



Atonement
Ian McEwan - 2001

I probably read this book too young so I may have missed some of the more subtle references in this book, but I'm pretty sure that I got the basics. This is the only book I've read by McEwan but in my opinion he's an amazing writer. I think this book really had a profound effect on me because it shows how a need for drama can really ruin someone's life, which I feel, looking back on it, is an important lesson for a teenaged girl to learn.

Five Stars *****



The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Stephen Chbosky - 1999

You're probably thinking that this is going to be a complete cliché of a review, but I'll really try not to let it be. Unlike basically everyone else I've spoken to about this book, I did not feel a moment of sudden insight at the " I feel infinite " quote, and I know that in two to five years I'll have this book of this list, but right now I think it's a great book. It's really the only book written by an adult that I fell captures how we feel in our teenage years, a feeling we probably forget pretty soon after we grow out of that awkward stage. I think this book is unnecessarily profound, but I do think this is a teenage must read.

Five Stars *****

No comments:

Post a Comment